about the trackback thing

The question about the trends script with trackbacks was wether a few hundred backlinks was worth the trouble, and it wasn’t. I wrote a second routine to grab the most common significant words from excerpts, and do a second search to grab better results and up to five trackbacks per page.

So I put that online, it grabbed 4000 backlinks in an hour and overloaded the host server.

Baidu, radian6 and google had stepped up indexing after I added sitewide tags and that didnt show up in analytics, the site got the trackback validations and crawlers and the server went haywire. It is a shared host, the resources are too limited to run that kind site on. I put it on hold till I find a solution for the hosting,

Google of course penalised the site with PR0 and dropped the domain from the serp on its main keywords, but in Yahoo it ranks about 20 out of 360 million result pages and in MSN it ranks no 1. I was thinking about adding a translator plugin and see if I can get some traffic from Baidu.

 

trackbacks

Trackbacks are brilliant stuff. I programmed a trackback module into the trends script yesterday just to see what it yields. As long as you don’t use it to spam and stick to common standards, it’s the fastest deep link building method available. I noticed another trends script is also using trackbacks.

GTrends lists an average 600 different searches per day, that makes 200K pages a year. If you put five blog excerpts with a link on a page you have 1000K backlink opportunities a year, automated, if you use trackbacks.

I got 50% success rate in the first tests, so I put it on a cronjob and it seems to level out at 30% successful links. That seemed a bit much, so I checked the PingCrawl plugin Eli (bluehatseo) and joshteam put together for WordPress. They claim a 80% success rate using Eli’s result scraper, I guess 30% is not aberrant.

For trends, I can’t narrow my search down too much. I need the most recent blogs for the trends buzz. Too narrow searches might exclude the recent news and the script would lose it’s usability. Besides, I figure 10% trackbacks would already be more than enough, a few hundred lines of code with a css template for 100K backlinks a year ain’t bad.

I don’t actually have anything to blog about today, so that’s it.

[added 3-3] ****ing brilliant, 65% trackbacks are accepted, increasing traffic, bots come crawling, finally something that works. Now add proxies.

[added 3-3] bozo style “the script got 4 uniques yesterday!”

Can I be honest ? Dude over at seounderworld gave me a vote of confidence on the trends script and I felt embarrased as the demo looks like shit and didn’t do anything. For scraper basics fine, but it lacked seo potential.

So I added some CSS, validated the source, added caching, gzip, rss-feed, sitemap, and the trackback module. It got 300 uniques yesterday and 400 uniques this morning on its first day out, so it performs better now and I don’t feel so embarrassed anymore.

(nice impression of the trends audience by the way)

I’ll add some proxies to prevent bans and some other stuff, once that’s done I’ll refresh the download.